World Bulletin / News Desk
Retired Libyan general Khalifa Haftar on Sunday threatened to order his troops to shoot ships entering the Port of Benghazi if port officials did not heed orders to close it down.
Haftar had earlier accused rival militias of getting arms supplies through the northeastern Libya port.
He sent a letter to port officials, telling them that his troops would shoot any ships entering the port if it was not closed down, according to Libyan activists.
He said in his letter that port officials should direct incoming ships to the eastern Port of Tobruk instead.
Haftar's spokesman Mohamed Hegazi, meanwhile, said the retired general, who has been waging a brutal war against Islamist militias in his country for several months now, had earlier warned the port administration against allowing any ships in, except for oil tankers.
"We renew the same warning today," Hegazi told Anadolu Agency, noting that in case of violations, Haftar-affiliated planes would strike ships entering the port.
Rival militias have been controlling the Port of Benghazi since June 26 after bloody battles with troops loyal to the retired general. The battles left four people dead and 17 others wounded.
Libya has been suffering turmoil since a bloody popular uprising in 2011 brought to an end the four-decade autocracy of former ruler Muammar Gaddafi.Last Mod: 15 Eylül 2014, 13:26