World Bulletin / News Desk
Nine Mediterranean countries are planning joint military drills to foil possible attacks using civilian and military planes seized from Libya, an Algerian military source said on Sunday.
The source, who asked not to be named, said the air forces of the 5 + 5 defense initiative, Libya excluded, would take part in the drills.
They would mimic the use of civilian or military planes in carrying out attacks.
The 5 + 5 defense initiative, which was launched in 2004, groups Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia, France, Italy, Malta, Portugal and Spain.
The Algerian security source said Libya would be excluded from the drills because of its deteriorating security conditions.
The drills would be conducted in coordination with the U.S. navy in the Mediterranean, according to the source.
He did not, however, refer to the location of the drills or their date.
None of the countries expected to participate in the drills issued an statement on the issue.
Algerian security sources said earlier that the air forces of some of Libya's neighboring countries are on high alert, lest some Libyan civilian planes should be used in launching 9/11-style attacks.
The sources said rebels can now easily lay their hands on light military and training planes that belonged to the Libyan army.
Radical and militant groups are reported to have already laid their hands on around 11 passenger planes from Libyan airports.
The Moroccan army is reported to have put its artillery and rocket batteries on alert to counter any potential threats in this regard.
Moroccan media said the preparations came hard on the heels of warnings made by western intelligence agencies of the potential targeting of Moroccan cities by militant groups in the region.
Libya has descended into total lawlessness since a bloody uprising ended the autocracy of the late ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.Last Mod: 18 Ağustos 2014, 09:39