World Bulletin/News Desk
Mauritania's main opposition bloc has rejected a call for dialogue by President Mohamed Ould Abdel-Aziz.
The National Forum for Democracy and Unity (FNDU) said that the regime's call for dialogue, coming shortly before a looming mid-term Senate election, was "an insult to the Mauritanian people," according to a statement by the bloc on Monday night.
The bloc expressed keenness on partaking in "serious dialogue" with the regime but accused the latter of launching a "shallow" bid for dialogue two months before elections "to only serve the interests of an authoritarian agenda."
Earlier this week, Abdel-Aziz called on forces from across Mauritania's political spectrum to engage in dialogue with the aim of "achieving the nation's best interest."
The FNDU had boycotted last summer's presidential elections in which Abdel-Aziz won a second term in office after defeating veteran activist Biram Dah Abeid, though the latter had accused the electoral commission of rigging the votes in favor of his opponent.
Many local opposition parties had said their boycott of the vote was due to the government's failure to provide guarantees for the poll's transparency.
Having ruled since 2009, Abdel-Aziz, a former army general, played a key role in two military coups that toppled Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya and elected Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi in 2005 and 2008 respectively.
He, however, would not be able to run in the next presidential elections in the light of the constitution, which limits the terms a president can have in office to two.
Last Mod: 06 Ocak 2015, 11:10