World Bulletin/News Desk
Three people were killed late Saturday in two separate attacks by unidentified gunmen in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, medical and security sources said.
Medical sources told Anadolu Agency that a man and his wife were gunned down in the city's Al-Sarti district after unidentified gunmen showered their car with bullets. Their 10-year-old daughter was also injured in the attack, they said.
The motives of the shooting are not yet known, the source said.
Meanwhile, a security source said that unknown militants also shot dead Abu Bakr al-Arafi, an employee working at a government-run satellite channel, outside his house in Al-Leithi district.
The two attacks are the latest in a string of recent assassinations that targeted several individuals in the volatile city.
Rights watchdog Human Rights Watch last week decried an assassination spree that left 14 people dead last weekend in the city, saying the perpetrators appeared to enjoy total impunity.
Describing the period from September 18 to 20 as "some of the bloodiest days this year" in Benghazi, the watchdog, lamented that Libyan authorities had failed to investigate or prosecute the perpetrators of unlawful killings since the 2011 ouster and death of longstanding ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
The latest fatalities, it said, had brought the total number of apparently politically motivated assassinations to at least 250 in Benghazi and nearby Darnah this year alone, it added.
Libya has been dogged by political instability since Gaddafi's 2011 ouster and death, with several militias holding onto their weapons following the bloody uprising.
Benghazi, Libya's second city, has recently turned into a battlefield between troops loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar and the Ansar al-Sharia militia, while the Libyan government has remained largely absent from the scene.
1 killed in clashes in Libya's Tripoli
Meanwhile, at least one person was killed and two others were injured in clashes between Islamist militiamen and gunmen in Libyan capital Tripoli, a medical source said.
The violence erupted when militiamen affiliated with the 'Dawn of Libya campaign' raided a building believed to be housing a militant group in Zawiya district in the capital, the source told Anadolu Agency on the condition of anonymity.
A source with the militia declined to give details on the raid, but said that the country's "revolutionaries" would continue operating on the ground until the city is clear of "supporters of the counter-revolution."
"Libya Shield," widely seen as a pro-Muslim Brotherhood militia, recently launched a campaign – dubbed "Dawn of Libya" – with the stated aim of retaking government buildings and palaces of the ousted Muammar Gaddafi regime from militiamen who had occupied the sites for the past three years.
The sharp divisions have yielded two rival seats of government in the country, each of which has its own institutions.
Two assemblies currently vie for legislative authority: the newly-elected House of Representatives, which convenes in the eastern city of Tobruk; and the General National Congress, which – even though its mandate ended in August – continues to convene in capital Tripoli.
The two parliaments support two different governments respectively headquartered in the two cities.
Last Mod: 28 Eylül 2014, 13:34