World Bulletin / News Desk
Moroccan anti-extrem squads on Friday dismantled a "ISIL-linked extremist cell" in the country's north, according to a statement issued by the Interior Ministry.
The five-member "cell" was dismantled in Morocco's northern city of Tetouan as part of a wide-ranging anti-ISIL operation, the ministry added.
According to the statement, the cell had been planning to carry out extremist attacks aimed at "destabilizing the country".
The ministry also said that 758 out of 1,579 Moroccan nationals who had recently gone to fight in Syria, Iraq or Libya had "links" with the extremist group.
In mid-October, the Moroccan authorities made a similar announcement, saying they had dismantled a three-member "ISIL cell" that had also been planning extremist attacks.
In a statement issued at the time, the Interior Ministry said a total of 38 "extremist cells" had been dismantled throughout the country -- including many with alleged ISIL links -- since the beginning of 2013.
Last Mod: 04 Kasım 2016, 15:34