World Bulletin/News Desk
Ousted President Mohamed Morsi's co-defendants have revealed restrictions during their trial on alleged charges of inciting the murder of demonstrators outside the presidential palace late last year.
Morsi and seven other defendants appeared in court last week on charges of inciting the killing of demonstrators outside the Ittihadiya presidential palace.
Eleven people died in the violence, including Muslim Brotherhood supporters.
In leaked letters published by Al-Jazeera Mubasher Misr, an affiliate of the Qatar-based broadcaster, the defendants said that they were brought to the courthouse at 3:00am local time, seven hours before the trial.
They also alleged that the court room was packed with policemen in plain clothes and that they were prevented from meeting their lawyers ahead of the trial.
The defendants also revealed that families of Muslim Brotherhood supporters killed in the violence outside the presidential palace were prevented from attending the court session.
One defendant wrote in a leaked message that they were banned from speaking during the trial proceedings and that the speaker was taken away from them.
According to the leaked letters, no one, except the military intelligence, was allowed to snap the trial proceedings.
The defendants regretted what they called "the conditions of the Egyptian Judiciary", calling on judges to shy away from being used as a tool for political harassment".
"The judges seemed to have only one goal: picturing the president in the dock," the defendants said in their leaked letters.
Trial proceedings were postponed to January 8 after defense lawyers requested more time to examine documentation related to the case.
Egyptian authorities could not be reached for comment.Last Mod: 09 Kasım 2013, 13:47