World Bulletin/News Desk
The defense team of ousted president Mohamed Morsi will not request to attend investigation with the deposed leader, a spokesperson has told the Anadolu Agency.
"No lawyer has attended investigation with Morsi and we will not seek permit to attend," Mustafa Azab, a spokesman of Morsi's defense team, said on Saturday.
"We don't even know where the president is being held," he added.
Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected president, has not been seen in public since his ouster by the powerful military two months ago following mass protests against his presidency. His whereabouts remains unknown.
On Friday, prosecutors renewed Morsi's detention for 30 days pending investigation into charges of "conspiring".
"We have not asked to attend investigation with Morsi because we do not recognize the current authorities, which are the result of a coup," Azab said.
The spokesperson said that Morsi rejects the investigation and insists that he is an elected president.
"We know that the charges against him will take him to the gallows or to serve life sentence in prison," Azab said.
"We don't recognize the coup authorities, no matter the charges are," he said. "We will continue our legal struggle until the right and rule of law are restored."
According to judicial sources, Morsi faces alleged charges of conspiring with the Gaza-based Hamas group to launch hostile acts in Egypt, attacking police facilities and soldiers and jailbreaks.
The deposed leader is also accused of sabotaging public properties along with killing and abducting prisoners and soldiers.
Earlier this month, Prosecutor-General Hisham Barakat referred Morsi to court on alleged charges of inciting murder and violence outside Cairo's Ittihadiya presidential palace in December of last year.Last Mod: 14 Eylül 2013, 14:14