Nigeria admits Boko Haram attack on army base

More than 100 soldiers killed while dozens remain missing, local media reports

Nigeria admits Boko Haram attack on army base

Nigeria has admitted the local media reports over a recent Boko Haram attack on army base that allegedly left multiple casualties in the restive northeast Borno state.

A late Friday statement by the Nigerian army read that the insurgents attacked troops of 157 task force battalion but insisted on not giving casualty figures until families of the affected soldiers have been briefed.

The confirmation is the first time since local media broke the news of the attack earlier in the week.

Media reports said up to 113 soldiers were killed with several others still missing in deadly attack in Metele area of Borno while many weapons were also stolen. 

The army however said the reports in the media were exaggerated, warning against unintended spread of Boko Haram propaganda. 

“Whilst it is true that there was an attack on the location on 18 November 2018, it has however, become necessary to correct several misinformation being circulated with regards to this unfortunate event,” it said.

On Friday, Daesh also released a five-minute video detailing the attack and how its fighters purportedly went away with several military hardwares.

“It is important for the public to note that the Nigerian Army has laid-down procedures for reporting incidents that involve its personnel who fall casualty in action," said the army, urging the public to avoid exacerbating the grief of the victims' families.

Add Comment