World Bulletin / News Desk
Security forces in Nigeria's northeast welcomed on Tuesday a ceasefire declaration by a commander of the Boko Haram, but said they would not lower their guard.
Sheik Abu Mohammed Ibn Abdulazeez, a man local security sources say is a Boko Haram commander, called for ceasefire.
But it was not immediately clear if Abdulazeez was speaking on behalf of Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau who has neither publicly backed, nor denounced the commander who also called for dialogue in November last year.
In a statement to journalists in Maiduguri, the sect's headquarters, Abdulazeez urged security forces to reciprocate.
"Conflicts are resolved through dialogue, hence the declaration of ceasefire by the sect's leader is a welcome development," Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa, spokesman for joint military and police forces (JTF) in Borno state, said by phone.
"Be that as it may, the JFT will remain in a staging position to continue maintaining law and order ... in its area of operational responsibility," he said.
A spokesman for Borno state governor Kashim Shettima also welcomed the ceasefire.
"The governor has regularly advocated that, unless we want to engage in an endless war, the best way out of the crisis is dialogue," his spokesman Isa Umar Gusau said.
Last Mod: 29 Ocak 2013, 15:59