World Bulletin/News Desk
The Nigerian government said Wednesday that it was ready "to go to any length" to free scores of schoolgirls abducted last month by the militant Boko Haram group.
"We are ready to go to any length to secure the release of these our unfortunate daughters that have been in captivity," Information Minister Labaran Maku told reporters in Abuja following a weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council attended by President Goodluck Jonathan.
Maku said the executive council had decided to use any means necessary to find and rescue the schoolgirls.
He stopped short of saying, however, whether or not the government was negotiating – or planned to negotiate –with Boko Haram for the girls' release.
"Everything is being done in relation to every operational measures that will be taken, particularly by the Nigerian Armed Forces in collaboration with foreign assistance that hasbeen offered," Maku said, declining to elaborate on what exactly what steps were being taken.
Scores of schoolgirls were abducted in mid-April when Boko Haram militants stormed a government school in the town of Chibok, located on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest.
The abductions have prompted global outrage, with several countries joining Nigerian efforts to rescue the missing girls.
Until now, Nigerian officials have been at odds over which course to take after Boko Haram chief Abubakar Shekau offered to release the kidnapped girls in exchange for detained Boko Haram members.
While some officials have said the government would negotiate with the militants, Interior Minister Abba Moro has rejected any proposal to swap the girls for detained Boko Haram militants.
"The government is scrutinizing the video to ascertain its veracity with a view to taking appropriate action," Moro told Anadolu Agency.
"Exchanging members of Boko Haram that have infracted on the laws of the country for the defenseless, innocent schoolgirls forcefully abducted from Chibok is not on the table," he said.Güncelleme Tarihi: 15 Mayıs 2014, 10:07