World Bulletin/News Desk
Nigerian forces used jets and attack helicopters to bombard Boko Haram camps in the northeast on Friday, killing a number of militants, the defence headquarters spokesman said.
Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade told Reuters by telephone several camps had been attacked, including the Sambisa game reserve, but the exact number of insurgents killed had not yet been determined.
"A number of insurgents have been killed. It is not just Sambisa, every camp is under attack. But we have not done the mopping up operations on the ground to determine the numbers killed," Olukolade said.
Nigerian forces are trying to regain territory controlled by Boko Haram in their northeastern stronghold states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, which were put under a state of emergency by President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday.
Last Mod: 17 Mayıs 2013, 14:29