Nigerian president, leaders to discuss African militant threat

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, facing a mounting insurgency at home, will fly to South Africa to discuss ways of tackling militancy across the continent with African heads of state

Nigerian president, leaders to discuss African militant threat

World Bulletin/News Desk

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, facing a mounting insurgency at home, will fly to South Africa to discuss ways of tackling militancy across the continent with African heads of state, his spokesman said.

The meeting follows warnings from Nigeria and its neighbors that Boko Haram - which has killed thousands of Nigerians during its five-year-old insurgency, and last month kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls - now threatens the security of the region.

Leaders from every corner of the continent would meet before South African President Jacob Zuma's inauguration on Saturday to "focus on collective action to effectively roll back the scourge of terrorism in Africa," spokesman Reuben Abati said.

Security experts say cross-border intelligence sharing between countries threatened by militant groups is woefully weak.

Jonathan and the military have been criticized in Nigeria for the slowness of their reaction to the mass abduction, which took place in the remote northeastern village of Chibok, near the borders of Cameroon and Chad.

Nigeria accepted help from the United States, Britain, France and China last week and around 80 U.S. troops were arriving in Chad to start a mission to try to free the schoolgirls.

CIVILIANS TARGETED

Boko Haram has stepped up attacks in recent weeks.

Since the day of the abductions, which have grabbed global attention, at least 425 civilians have been killed. A bomb blast at the edge of the capital Abuja killed 71 people on the same day of the kidnappings on April 14 and eight more girls have since been snatched.

Boko Haram initially attacked mostly security forces and government officials after it launched its uprising in northeast Borno state's capital Maiduguri in 2009.

But when Jonathan ordered a military offensive a year ago to flush them out, civilians formed vigilante groups to help out - and themselves became targets.

Suspected Boko Haram militants shot dead 29 farm workers as they tilled their fields in remote northeast Nigerian village of Chukku Nguddoa. A bomb blast in Jos killed 118 people on Tuesday, the deadliest single attack in the central city, which has been periodically targeted by bombers since 2010.

Nigerian protesters have taken to the street and launched a online campaign to press authorities to do more to free the girls. But on Thursday, Jonathan urged Nigerians to be realistic.

The governor of Borno state Kassim Shettima told Reuters in an interview late on Thursday that Boko Haram had many foreign fighters, including Chadians, Cameroonians, but also Libyans who fled after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

"If you call them Nigeria's al-Qaeda, you honor them. These guys are just plain raving lunatics," Shettima said.

The U.N. Security Council committee blacklisted Boko Haram on Thursday

Last Mod: 23 Mayıs 2014, 17:09
Add Comment