'No proof' of Turkish, Qatari support for Libyan rebels

Local media had earlier reported that al-Garoushi had accused Turkey, Qatar and Libya's Muslim Brotherhood of helping the Ansar al-Sharia militia carry out attacks in Libya.

'No proof' of Turkish, Qatari support for Libyan rebels

World Bulletin / News Desk

A commander of renegade Libyan army general Khalifa Haftar's forces said Wednesday that he had no evidence of Turkish or Qatari support for the Islamist Ansar al-Sharia militia.

"We don't have any evidence that Turkey or Qatar are involved in supporting the Ansar al-Sharia militia in carrying out terrorist attacks inside Libya," Air Force Commander Saqr al-Garroushi told Anadolu Agency.

Local media had earlier reported that al-Garoushi had accused Turkey, Qatar and Libya's Muslim Brotherhood of helping the Ansar al-Sharia militia carry out attacks in Libya.

On Tuesday, Haftar escaped an attempt on his life in the volatile city of Benghazi when a suicide bomber blew up his car near his convoy, killing himself and three of Haftar's guards.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.

Haftar, once an opponent of late Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi, recently declared war on Benghazi-based militias, some of which were absorbed into the regular army following Gaddafi's 2011 ouster and death.

Recent fighting between the two sides has left scores dead in the restive city.

Haftar says his anti-militia campaign, dubbed "Operation Dignity," aims to "purge" Libya of "extremists."

Libya's government, however, has described the general's campaign as a "coup" against constitutional legitimacy.

Last Mod: 04 Haziran 2014, 16:42
Add Comment