World Bulletin / News Desk
Rescue teams have recovered the bodies of at least 40 people -- thought to be drowned migrants -- off the shore of western Libya, local sources said Sunday.
Mahmoud al-Misrati, a spokesman for the Libyan Red Crescent, told Anadolu Agency that a total of 40 bodies had been recovered off the shores of the coastal cities of Zliten, Alkhams and Alkarboli.
According to al-Misrati, the Red Crescent is currently coordinating search-and-rescue efforts with the Libyan Coast Guard, which is also conducting search operations along the coast of capital Tripoli in the country’s northeast.
Al-Misrati said the Coast Guard had been conducting search operations along the coast for the last two days after citizens complained that large numbers of bodies were washing up on the shore.
The spokesman went on to say that the large number of bodies was a likely indication that a boat carrying Europe-bound migrants had capsized somewhere off the Libyan coast.
He added, however, that the Libyan authorities did not currently have any information regarding possible survivors.Last Mod: 25 Ekim 2015, 16:50