World Bulletin / News Desk
At least 47 people have reportedly been killed in clashes in the past three days between militias and Congolese armed forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo, a civil society source told Anadolu Agency.
The clashes between rebel and armed forces first erupted on Friday in the town of Luiza, in the Kasai-Central province, a member of a civil society organization said late Monday on condition of anonymity due to security reasons.
"There were 13 deaths on Friday, and the fighting continued on Saturday with a death toll of 25 and on Sunday there were nine deaths," the source said, adding that it was still impossible to identify the victims.
Clement Apakachwa Mitendi, administrator of Luiza territory, confirmed the clashes but did not disclose a death toll. Clashes reportedly continued on Monday in the village of Musambayi.
Composed of three provinces (Kasai, Kasai-Central and Kasai-Oriental), the diamond-rich region has been the scene of clashes between rebel forces and government troops in recent months. Kamwena Nsapu militias have reportedly been fighting against the state's presence in the region.
Last week, the provincial authorities of Kasai Central released over 40 rebels in order to create a favorable environment for negotiations.Last Mod: 07 Şubat 2017, 13:08