World Bulletin/News Desk
Qulyubia (Banha) Administrative Court has suspended presidential elections which was expected to be held on May 23 and 24 in Egypt.
The court said Thursday that the elections had been suspended because presidential election commission was not authorized and there were administrative mistakes in election process.
The decision can be overruled by a higher court. Legal experts said that the order issued by a provincial court would probably be reversed, because the suit was based on a technicality.
The decision of the Administrative Court had a shocking effect on Egypt. Presidential candidates have not yet given a reaction against the decision of the court while the press gave it as breaking news.
The court said that the ruling military council is the only body authorised to make that appeal, the Middle East News Agency reported.
Egypt's presidential election, the first since the ouster of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak's regime last year after an 18-day uprising, is set to start on May 23-24.
The ruling military council issued a statement on Wednesday declaring that there will be no postponement of the election.
There are 13 presidential candidates contesting the election.
Also late Wednesday, the news agency reported that Egypt's Cabinet was being reshuffled.
The report said the changes affect only four ministries - culture, labor, higher education and parliament affairs.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 10 Mayıs 2012, 12:49