World Bulletin/News Desk
A petition campaign aiming to instate Defense Minister Abdel-Fatah al-Sisi as Egypt's president has suspended its activities in protest at what it called "poor performance" of the interim government.
In a Friday statement, the 'Ekhtarnak' (We chose you) campaign said the suspension was taken in protest at government failure "to take tangible steps to fulfill aspirations of the revolutionary people to regain their rights".
"No progress will be achieved without bringing justice to the martyrs and punish those involved in past crimes," the campaign said.
The campaign has set a number of demands for the government, including an announcement by al-Sisi to reveal all facts in Egypt since the January 25 revolution that ended the 30-year rule of strongman Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
It also called for bringing members of the military council that took over from Mubarak in 2011 to accountability for "tragic incidents in Egypt under its rule".
The campaign also called for sacking the government, trying Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim, amending the army-imposed roadmap for Egypt's transition and rewriting a new constitution.
"If these demands are not met, we will call for protests on November 19 against the incumbent government," the campaign said.
The presidential elections are the last step on a roadmap announced by the powerful military following the July 3 ouster of elected President Mohamed Morsi.
The roadmap also includes the amendment of the constitution and holding parliamentary elections within nine months.
Launched last month by a host of activists, the petition campaign aims to gather 20 million signatures to name al-Sisi as Egypt's president without election.
Calls have grown in recent weeks for the country's defense minister, the chief architect of Morsi's overthrow, to run for the next president.
Several web pages and campaigns have recently popped up, particularly on social-networking site Facebook, touting al-Sisi for president.
One of the campaigns, titled 'Kamel Gemelak' (complete your favor) said that it has gathered 16 million signatures to press the top general to run.
Military spokesperson Colonel Ahmed Ali has said that the general does not intend to run in the elections and stressed that the military will not support a specific candidate in the presidential election, including those with military backgrounds.
But al-Sisi, during a recent interview with the independent Al-Masry Al-Youm, left the door open for running in the upcoming presidential election.Last Mod: 09 Kasım 2013, 11:28