World Bulletin / News Desk
The South Sudanese administration called on anti-government demonstrators Saturday to stop their protests, which began more than a month ago.
"I call on all of those who participated in the anti-government attacks to stop and turn in their weapons to the closest military or governmental units," South Sudanese Intelligence officer Ramadan Seddar told The Anadolu Agency.
He stressed his call was directed at people he said were innocent, but had been "used" by others.
After weeks of talks, South Sudanese rivals signed an agreement in Addis Ababa on Thursday calling for the cessation of hostilities and agreed, in principle, on the release of political detainees.
South Sudan has been shaken by violence since mid-December, when South Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit accused sacked South Sudanese vice president Riek Machar of being behind a failed coup attempt.
Several political and high level military officials were detained and state of emergency was announced.
More than 1,000 people have reportedly been killed and thousands have been displaced in the ensuing unrest, according to statistics of the United Nations. The protests began Dec. 16.
Peace talks were convened Jan. 3 in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, by the mediation board of Intergovernmental Authority on Development and officials from the U.S., Norway and China in an attempt to resolve the crisis.Last Mod: 25 Ocak 2014, 17:33