World Bulletin/News Desk
Negotiators representing the South Sudanese government left Juba on Sunday to Addis Ababa for a new round of peace talks with rebels loyal to sacked vice president Riek Machar.
Before departure, the delegation's spokesman Michael Makuei told reporters that they are hoping to achieve peace for the people of South Sudan.
He asserted that his team does not have a specific agenda to table and that their only objective is to reach peace.
On Saturday, Marcahr's chief negotiator Taban Deng Gai said he was in Addis Ababa awaiting the resumption of the peace talks.
"So far, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) has not yet communicated with us," he had told a press conference.
South Sudan has been shaken by violence since last December, when President Salva Kiir accused Machar of standing behind a failed coup attempt.
The violence has already claimed more than 10,000 lives.
The U.N. estimates that some 3.7 million South Sudanese are now "severely food insecure," while more than 867,000 have been displaced by the violence.
Following a month-long first round of talks in the Ethiopian capital, the two sides signed a cessation of hostilities agreement in January.Last Mod: 23 Mart 2014, 16:12