World Bulletin/News Desk
The South Sudanese government's negotiators on Sunday afternoon flew to The Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa for the second round of peace talks with the rebel groups, scheduled to begin on Monday.
"We have not been briefed on the agenda but we shall go ready for any issue they come up with," Information Minister Michael Makuei told reporters at Juba International Airport.
The team also includes former education minister Joseph Ubango Ukel, Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Peter Bashir Bendi and chairman of the opposition Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM)-DC party Dr. Lam Akol.
South Sudan has been shaken by violence since mid-December, when Kiir accused his sacked vice-president Riek Machar of standing behind a failed coup attempt against his regime.
The conflict has already claimed more than 10,000 lives.
The UN, meanwhile, estimates that some 3.7 million people in South Sudan are now "severely food insecure," while more than 820,000 have been displaced by the violence.
Following weeks of talks mediated by the Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD), the warring rivals signed an agreement last month calling for a cessation of hostilities.
The second round of talks had been scheduled for February 7 but had to be rescheduled three days later after last minute consultations between IGAD envoys and negotiators.
According to IGAD, the new round will focus on demands for the release of political detainees.
Bendi, for his part, said the government's team will work to exhaust every avenue for peace in the country.
"We will leave no stone unturned to bring peace back to our country," said the senior diplomat.
"I know both sides will want to work hard so that our people rest from this problem," he added.
Last Mod: 09 Şubat 2014, 17:18