World Bulletin/News Desk
Authorities in North Sinai said that the start of the school year would be delayed in the region for another week, citing security reasons.
North Sinai Governor Abdel-Fattah Harhour said that the academic year would start on October 26, one week after the scheduled opening date set earlier by the authorities.
The academic year opened nationwide on September 21 but the government had decided to postpone study in North Sinai, northeast of Egypt, against the background of deteriorating security conditions in the restive peninsula and an ongoing security operation there.
Sinai has been the center of heightened violence against police officers and army personnel since the July 3 ouster of Egypt's first freely-elected President Mohamed Morsi at the hands of the army.
Dozens of officers and soldiers have been killed in several attacks so far.
The Egyptian army is currently carrying out what military experts are calling the largest military operation on the peninsula since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel with the stated aim of combating "militancy and terrorism."Last Mod: 19 Ekim 2013, 08:59