World Bulletin/News Desk
A second protester was killed in Cairo on Friday when security forces dispersed a protest staged by supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi, a source with Morsi's main support bloc has said.
"Police attacked a pro-Morsi march in eastern Cairo's Matariya district, leaving a young man dead after he was shot in the chest," the source told The Anadolu Agency on condition of anonymity.
Earlier in the day, the pro-Morsi National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy said that a 33-year-old man – reportedly named Ragab – had been shot dead by security forces during the dispersal of a protest in southern Cairo's Helwan district.
Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected president, was ousted by the military in July 2013 following massive opposition protests against his rule.
While Morsi supporters describe his overthrow as a "military coup," his opponents term it a "military-backed revolution."
Ever since Morsi's ouster, the Egyptian authorities have maintained a harsh crackdown on his supporters, killing hundreds and detaining thousands.
In December of 2013, the Egyptian authorities branded Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood a "terrorist" group.
Last Mod: 03 Ocak 2015, 00:41