World Bulletin / News Desk
Senegal will send 2,100 troops to Saudi Arabia as part of an international coalition combating Houthis in neighbouring Yemen, the West African nation's foreign minister said on Monday.
Senegalese President Macky Sall said, after returning from a visit to Saudi Arabia last month, he was considering a request to deploy troops in the Saudi-led coalition battling the Houthi.
Saudi Arabia said Houthi forces posed a threat to its security after they captured Yemen's capital and began advancing across the country in September.
"The international coalition is aiming to protect and secure the holy sites of Islam, Medina and Mecca," Senegalese Foreign Minister Mankeur Ndiaye told parliament.
"The president...has decided to respond favourably to this request by deploying a contingent of 2,100 men in the holy land of Saudi Arabia," he said.
The coalition, which wants to restore Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, includes eight other Arab states and is receiving logistical support from the United States, Britain and France.
Saudi Arabia's foreign minister said in a statement on Monday the alliance was considering halting airstrikes in specific areas in Yemen to allow in humanitarian supplies.Last Mod: 05 Mayıs 2015, 09:46