Seven die in latest Nigeria clash

Two Nigerian policemen and five attackers were killed in a midnight raid on a police station

Seven die in latest Nigeria clash

World Bulletin/News Desk

Two Nigerian policemen and five attackers were killed in a midnight raid on a police station by suspected members of Boko Haram in northeast Yobe state, the military said on Thursday.

The attack occurred less than a week after a bloody gun battle between fighters and joint military forces from Nigeria, Chad and Niger in neighbouring Borno state.

That clash may have been one of the deadliest since Boko Haram launched an uprising in 2009. The Nigerian Red Cross is checking reports from locals that 187 people died, although government officials have said this figure is inflated.

"At about midnight Thursday ... gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists attacked Joint Task Force location in Gashua town," spokesman for the Yobe military force Eli Lazarus said.

"Two police officers were killed in the attack while five of the suspected terrorists lost their lives during the encounter."

Lazarus said a rocket-propelled grenade, several vehicles, guns and ammunition had been recovered.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is awaiting a report from a panel he set up to offer an amnesty to the Boko Haram members if they give up their struggle.

Boko Haram has so far shown no interest in talks and two mediators have already pulled out.

Last Mod: 26 Nisan 2013, 09:00
Add Comment