Sinai-based group claims attack on army intel building

"The spearhead of this war [in Sinai] is the intelligence [apparatus] that wages this war, which serves no one but the nation's Christian and Jewish enemies," the statement says

Sinai-based group claims attack on army intel building

World Bulletin/News Desk

A group based in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula on Monday claimed responsibility for a Saturday attack on a Military Intelligence building in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia.

In a statement posted on several websites, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis said the attack had been carried out in retaliation for "the repressive practices of the Egyptian army against our people in Egypt."

"The spearhead of this war [in Sinai] is the intelligence [apparatus] that wages this war, which serves no one but the nation's Christian and Jewish enemies," the statement added.

The statement was referring to an ongoing military campaign in Sinai – the largest military operation seen on the peninsula since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel – with the stated aim of combating "militancy and terrorism."

Sinai has been at the center of heightened violence against police and army personnel since the July 3 ouster of President Mohamed Morsi, Egypt's first freely-elected leader, by the powerful military establishment.

On Saturday, six Egyptian soldiers were injured in a blast targeting Military Intelligence headquarters in Ismailia.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for several previous attacks in Egypt, including a failed attempt on the life of Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim in early September.

Last Mod: 21 Ekim 2013, 13:44
Add Comment