World Bulletin / News Desk
Sudan's largest opposition party, led by Islamist Hassan al-Turabi, said it will not withdraw from the ongoing national dialogue with President Omar al-Bashir's ruling party despite recent arrests of another opposition figure and the confiscation of a private newspaper.
"The detainment of al-Sadek al-Mahdi and the confiscation of newspapers impede dialogue but we will still take part in the talks because it is the only way to resolve the country's crises," Kamal Omar, a spokesman for al-Turabi's Popular Congress Party, told reporters on Tuesday.
Concerns rose over the recently-launched national dialogue after al-Mahdi - the former prime minister – was detained days ago for allegedly "insulting" the country's intelligence and security apparatuses.
Al-Mahdi's National Umma Party (NUP) boycotted the dialogue to protest his arrest, saying he was detained for blaming security forces for violence in the troubled Darfur region.
Al-Turabi is viewed as the godfather of Sudan's Islamist movement, which is linked to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.
He is also seen as the key player in the 1989 military coup that brought al-Bashir to power.
A group of opposition groups have recently accepted an invitation by al-Bashir for dialogue to discuss a reform plan he has recently unveiled.
Sudanese opposition parties say al-Bashir and al-Turabi want to unify Sudanese Islamist parties against the backdrop of a region-wide crackdown on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.
6 killed as Sudan forces repel Darfur rebel attack
Six people were killed on Tuesday as Sudanese forces repelled a rebel attack in the restive western province of Darfur.
"The army and regular forces thwarted an attack by gunmen in the city of Al-Fasher," North Darfur Governor Osman Youssef told reporters.
Three army forces and three civilians were killed in the process, he added.
Darfur has been ravaged by a deadly conflict since three rebel groups took up arms against the Khartoum government in 2003.
The U.N., which has described the situation in Darfur as one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, has said that an estimated 300,000 people had been killed in the conflict and some 1.8 million displaced.
The Sudanese government, however, insists that the death toll does not exceed 10,000 people.Last Mod: 21 Mayıs 2014, 10:10