World Bulletin / News Desk
"MONUSCO strongly condemns violence from whatever quarter, and remains concerned at the increasing levels of violence in the Kasai and Kasai-Central provinces and reaffirms its commitment to supporting the authorities in restoring State authority and bringing calm,” said Maman Sidikou, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General in the DRC.
The UN also extended its condolences to the families of the victims and condemned human rights abuses that have been committed in the region.
"A MONUSCO multidisciplinary team will be traveling to Tshikapa in the coming days to assess the situation and meet with local authorities with a view to supporting them in enhancing security measures,” the statement added.
At least 31 people were killed in clashes between Congolese forces and an insurgent group over the weekend in central DRC on Monday.
Hubert Mbingo N'vula, Kasai-Central province's deputy governor, said 13 soldiers and 18 militiamen had been killed.
Some 15 Congolese soldiers were also wounded as a result of the clashes that began Saturday.
The DRC has been hit by violence for over two decades during which the Congolese army and local self-defense groups have been fighting various militia groups in the eastern part of the country.