World Bulletin/News Desk
The United States said on Monday it was not ready to determine whether the takeover of Burkina Faso's government by the country's army amounted to a military coup, a step that if taken could require a cutoff of U.S. assistance to the African state.
"Right now the precise makeup of Burkina Faso's transitional government is an outstanding issue," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said calling for a return to civilian rule and elections.
"We are certainly encouraging movement to a civilian-led transition and then of course elections," she added. "At this point we're still gathering facts, we're not going to make a policy or legal determination at this point in time."
The departure last week of President Blaise Compaore, one of Africa's longest serving rulers, left a power vacuum in the landlocked West African nation amid protests against his bid to extend his 27-year rule through a constitutional amendment.
The military named Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Zida, deputy commander of the elite presidential guard, as head of State on Saturday.
The United States has provided around $14.8 million of assistance to Burkina Faso in fiscal year 2014, including for food and health programs.
The African Union has given Burkina Faso's military authorities two weeks to return power to a civilian government or face sanctions.Last Mod: 03 Kasım 2014, 22:58