Yemeni tribe, Houthis agree truce after clashes

A pro-government tribe has agreed a truce with Houthis in Yemen to halt battles which caused up to 70 deaths last week, a provincial official said.

Yemeni tribe, Houthis agree truce after clashes

A pro-government tribe has agreed a truce with Houthis in Yemen to halt battles which caused up to 70 deaths last week, a provincial official said on Sunday.

The latest fighting came months after a truce in February ended a war between the government and Houthis, that has raged intermittently since 2004 and last year drew in neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

"Battles between the Houthis and followers of Sheikh Saghir Ibn Aziz were halted after the success of tribal mediation in establishing a truce between the two sides," the official told Reuters.

The official said the truce, sealed late on Saturday, provided for the withdrawal of all gunmen from their positions, the lifting of checkpoints and roadblocks and the removal of mines from roads. Between 53 and 70 people were estimated to have been killed in the fighting.

Clashes broke out again last week, prompting government forces to intervene to assist the Ibn Aziz tribe. Five government soldiers were among those killed.

Qatar has offered to revive a 2008 peace deal it brokered between Sanaa and the Houthis to end the war, which displaced 350,000 people.

Under Saturday's truce, the Ibn Aziz tribe and Houthis are expected to hold talks with mediators to resolve differences.


Reuters

Last Mod: 25 Temmuz 2010, 16:48
Add Comment