World Bulletin/News Desk
A Kuwaiti man released from the Guantanamo Bay arrived in Kuwait on Thursday after having spent nearly 13 years in the U.S. detention camp.
Fawzi al-Oudah, 37, was released by the U.S. on Wednesday to the Gulf Arab country.
He was detained in 2002 along with Fayez al-Kandari, another Kuwaiti national, after having been captured at the Pakistani-Afghan border in the wake of the 2001 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, according to a 2006 report by Amnesty International.
His family said he had traveled to the border area to carry out charity work there, while the U.S. military alleged that he and al-Kandari were detained for links to Al-Qaeda and the Taliban militant groups.
Al-Oudah's father Khaled al-Oudah had told Kuwait's daily Al-Watan that his son would be transferred to a Kuwaiti military hospital to undergo a comprehensive medical check-up to assess his physical and mental conditions.
He went on to say that al-Oudah will then be referred to a rehabilitation center for a stay of up to six months.
Al-Oudah and al-Kandari were among 12 Kuwaiti nationals held in the Guantanamo prison, ten of whom had been released.
The Guantanamo prison, established in the wake of the September 11 attacks in 2001, is said to host around 170 detainees from different nationalities held without trial for alleged links to Al-Qaeda and other high-profile militant organizations.
The U.N. as well as other international rights groups have urged the U.S. in recent years to close Guantanamo prison on grounds that it violates international law by carrying out extrajudicial detentions.
The prison camp remains intact despite a pledge by U.S. President Obama to close it down during his 2008 presidential campaign, amid widespread reports of various types of human rights abuses – amounting to torture – by U.S. forces against the detainees.
Last Mod: 06 Kasım 2014, 12:03