World Bulletin / News Desk
Bernard Kleinman, lawyer of the detained Libyan al-Qaeda suspect Anas al-Liby, told the court that it would take months to sort through the thousands of documents before his case could proceed.
The defense attorney, who just met his client on Tuesday said in federal court that he had just begun representing Libyan Nazih al-Ragye, better known as Abu Anas al-Liby, who last week pleaded not guilty to involvement in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 224 people.
A criminal indictment was filed in 2001 against him and others suspected in the bombings.
Al-Liby's defense attorney told U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan in court on Tuesday that he would need at least six months to sort through some 270,000 documents that are part of the evidence in the case.
Kleinman also requested the return of his client's personal copy of the Koran, the Islamic holy book, which he said was confiscated during his capture.
Asked by reporters outside court who had retained him, Kleinman said only that it was a third party, without providing details.
Citing experience with terrorism cases, Kleinman told the judge he represents at least one prisoner held by the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Al-Liby's next court appearance was set for Dec. 12.
U.S. officials say al-Liby served as a liaison between militant groups in Libya and North Africa andAyman al-Zawahiri, the Egyptian physician who now leads what remains of al Qaeda's core organization based in Pakistan.
His wife has said in media interviews that he suffers from Hepatitis C.Last Mod: 23 Ekim 2013, 11:11