Trump will not block former FBI Director from testimony

James Comey expected to deliver his first public testimony on Thursday since Trump abruptly fired him last month

Trump will not block former FBI Director from testimony

World Bulletin / News Desk

President Donald Trump will not assert executive privilege to block ousted FBI Director James Comey from delivering public testimony, the White House said Monday.

Spokesman Sean Spicer said Trump will not take the action "in order to facilitate a swift and thorough examination of the facts sought by the Senate Intelligence Committee".

Comey is expected to deliver on Thursday his first public testimony before the committee since Trump abruptly fired him last month.

The White House has given various reasons for Comey's May firing, including that he did not have the backing of the bureau's rank and file.

The suggestion was dismissed by Comey's number two, and now acting FBI director, Andrew McCabe, who said the former FBI chief commands the respect of the vast majority of the bureau, including himself.

The timing of Comey's firing, as the FBI probes possible collusion between Trump's presidential campaign team and Moscow officials, as well as Russia's attempts to influence the election, has stirred controversy, even among some members of Trump's party.

Following his dismissal, reports mounted that Trump asked Comey if he was under investigation in a separate FBI probe, and sought to have Comey end an investigation into former top administration official Michael Flynn.

Trump has denied that either he or his campaign team in any way cooperated with Russian officials during last year's election.

Last Mod: 06 Haziran 2017, 00:23
Add Comment