Afghan governor: Civilians killed in US raid

The U.S. military confirmed the attack, but said nothing of civilian casualties.

Afghan governor: Civilians killed in US raid
U.S.-led coalition troops, backed by air strikes, killed 28 Taliban insurgents in southwestern Afghanistan, but six to eight civilians were also killed in the operation, the provincial governor said on Monday.

Sunday's raid was aimed at a Taliban meeting in the Khash Rud district of Nimroz province on Sunday, provincial governor Ghulam Dastagir Azad told reporters.

"The operation was carried out on the basis of a tip off. Twenty-eight Taliban and between six to eight civilians were killed in it," he said, without giving further details.

The U.S. military confirmed the attack, but said nothing of civilian casualties.

The issue of civilian casualties by foreign troops is a sensitive one in Afghanistan as it further undermines support for the presence of around 71,000 international troops in the country.

In the first six months of this year, 698 civilians were killed, compared to 430 in the same period last year.


Reuters
Last Mod: 30 Haziran 2008, 16:12
Add Comment