Hundreds of Afghans staged an angry protest demonstration against the killing of civilians by the coalition troops in Ghazni province on Sunday.
The protesters, including tribal elders, common people and children, placed bodies of the two slain people to register their protest with the Afghan government and the foreign troops.
The protesters blocked the main Kabul-Kandahar highway for traffic for some time and chanted slogans against the Afghan government and the foreign troops.
The Sunday's protest demonstration by Afghans against civilian casualties in military operations is the third over the previous fortnight.
One villager said an overnight U.S. military raid killed several civilians.
However, the American military denied they are civilians, saying "its forces only killed two militants."
Sayed Ismail Jahangir, a spokesman for Ghazni's governor, said local officials also reported two people killed in the raid.
"We are now investigating. Who are these two killed, civilians or insurgents?" Jahangir said.
Over the last month, US soldiers killed some 50 Afghans, according to Afghan officials in three separate attacks. On Sunday, Baz Mohammad, a villager from Qarabagh district who participated in the highway demonstration, claimed that six people were killed in the Ghazni operation, but no officials confirmed that figure.
Mohammad also said that one woman was bitten by a military dog. The
U.S. military statement said a "noncombatant" was injured in the operation but it did not give details.
In a second civilian death incident, an Afghan tribal leader from southeastern Paktika province was shot and killed Saturday by a NATO patrol, the NATO-led force said in a statement Sunday.
A second Afghan was wounded in the shooting.
AgenciesLast Mod: 02 Şubat 2009, 12:01