Afghan officials denied US statement saying six men NATO soldiers killed were not civilians.
US-led forces have killed six people during a raid in the southern Afghan province of Zabul, Afghan officials said on Friday.
Mohammad Hashim, a member of Zabul's provincial council, said that the dead men belonged to two families and were not involved in insurgency.
A U.S. military statement alleged the operation was aimed at Taliban insurgents and the "ensuing engagement resulted in six militants killed".
About 2,100 Afghan civilians were killed in Afghanistan last year, according to the United Nations.
There are nearly 70,000 foreign troops under NATO and U.S. command attending the occupation, attacking Taliban.
The United States is expected to nearly double its force in Afghanistan from 36,000 to more than 60,000 within 18 months.
Last Mod: 06 Şubat 2009, 14:04