Russian news agency reported around 5,000 people have been abducted in the North Caucasus Republic of Chechnya since 1994, official Chechen human rights ombudsman said on Wednesday.
Nurdi Nukhazhiyev told an interdepartmental conference in Grozny, the Chechen capital, "In total, according to our data, in the Chechen Republic 4,825 people have been listed as missing or kidnapped since 1994."
But the real number is believed to be more than official data.
RIA Novosti said another speaker, Aset Malsagova, from the peacekeeping center in the North Caucasus, suggested that a special website be set up to process data on those, who have been kidnapped.
She said the site would allow eyewitnesses to share information with law enforcement agencies.
She also said she considered the exhumation of graves unacceptable until a forensic laboratory had been set up to help in identifying the remains.
Akhmed Dakaev, director of pro-Russian Chechnya's presidential and governmental department for cooperation with law enforcement bodies, told the conference 1,258 people had been declared missing in 2000-2007, with 557 of them being traced.
According to the U.S. rights group Human Rights Watch, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled that Russia was responsible for human rights violations, including "torture, enforced disappearances, and extrajudicial executions" in over 30 rulings.
The court has also repeatedly condemned Russia for violations in Chechnya.
Last Mod: 04 Temmuz 2008, 12:28