The last Bahraini to return home from the US detention camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba said Friday that he was tortured there but has no plans to sue the US government.
"I was subjected to torture on a daily basis at one point and intermittently after that," Issa Al Morbati told reporters. "They used to leave me alone in the interrogation room and release chemical materials, which still affect me ... At other times, they put on loud music and loud noise ... and I was kept in solitary confinement for long periods," Morbati said.
The last of six Bahraini nationals to be repatriated from Guantanamo, Morbati arrived in the Gulf island state Thursday.
"I am not thinking of [seeking] compensation or suing the US government ... Almighty God will compensate me," he said.
MP Mohammed Khaled, a member of the Muslim Brotherhood who headed a popular committee to defend the Bahrainis detained in Guantanamo, meanwhile urged the government to set up a rehabilitation program for the former detainees and compensate them financially.
"The psychological and physical suffering they endured, and being away from their families and country for years, makes it necessary to rehabilitate them," Khaled said.
One Bahraini held in Guantanamo was released in July, another in October last year, and three more in November 2005.
The controversial camp was established after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States illegally to house prisoners captured in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
Some 800 detainees have passed through the camp since it opened, and several hundred are still being held there.
The small Gulf archipelago of Bahrain is home to the US Navy's Fifth Fleet and has been designated by Washington as a major non-NATO ally.
Last Mod: 11 Ağustos 2007, 01:38