A car bomb exploded Friday outside a barracks of Spain's paramilitary Guardia Civil in the northern Basque town of Durango, lightly wounding two guardsmen, the country's road assistance service said.
"We were alerted by telephone that there was an explosion that lightly wounded two civil guardsmen with cuts," said a spokesman for the DYA road assistance service, adding ambulances had been dispatched to the scene.
The explosion took place at 03:30 am (0130 GMT) according to Spanish media.
Cadena Ser radio called the explosion the "first attack by ETA" since the armed Basque separatist group officially called off its 15-month ceasefire on June 5, although no Spanish media had reported an ETA claim to the bomb attack.
ETA usually phones in warnings of its bomb attacks to Basque media or the DYA, which said it had not received a warning.
Cadena Ser's correspondent in the Basque Country noted, however, that ETA did not usually make warnings of attacks on Spanish security personnel.
Both Spain and France have been on high alert in expectation of an ETA attack since the end of the ceasefire, with caches of ETA weapons and explosives seized in recent weeks.
ETA's last deadly attack was in December 2006, when two men died when a car bomb destroyed a car park at Madrid's airport. The last deadly attack on police was in May 2003 when two policemen were killed.
ETA is blamed for more than 800 deaths in a four-decade campaign to establish an independent state in the northern Basque region of Spain
Last Mod: 24 Ağustos 2007, 09:37