Bosnian Serb indicted over wartime killing, rape

Bosnia's war crimes court indicted a Bosnian Serb wartime army commander on Tuesday for the killing, rape and torture of Muslims in eastern Bosnia early in the 1992-95 war.

Bosnian Serb indicted over wartime killing, rape
Momir Savic is accused of persecution, murder, imprisonment, rape, torture and other inhuman acts against Bosnian Muslims in and around the eastern town of Visegrad from April to September 1992, the court said in a statement.

Savic was a member of a paramilitary unit formed when the Uzice Corps of the former Yugoslav Peoples Army (JNA) launched its operations in Bosnia, and then became a company commander of the Bosnian Serb army's Visegrad Brigade.

The court said Savic and several other Serb soldiers had taken 10 Muslim civilians from their homes in a Visegrad neighbourhood in May 1992, beaten and then executed them.

Savic took part in other, similar incidents and once, "when one civilian tried to run away, shot at him ... and deprived him of his life," the indictment said.

He is also accused of repeatedly raping a Muslim woman in her house from June to September 1992, threatening her to stop her telling anyone.

Savic is also accused in the indictment of taking part in the interrogation and beating of Muslim men from villages around Visegrad, and of plundering and burning their houses.

Bosnian Serb forces, helped by the Serb-dominated JNA and Serbian paramilitaries, committed the worst atrocities against Muslims in eastern Bosnia early in the conflict as part of their bid to create exclusively Serb territories.

The Bosnian war crimes court was set up to allow the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague to focus on the most serious abuses of the conflict in which over 100,000 people were killed.

The court is currently trying 66 wartime suspects from the 1992-95 war. It has convicted 14 suspects so far.

Agencies
Last Mod: 12 Mart 2008, 11:58
Add Comment