Bosnian war crimes prosecutor indicts 8 Serbs over massacre
The victims of the massacre were told they were driven from the Trnopolje detention camp to some woods.
Bosnia's war crimes prosecutor indicted eight Bosnian Serbs on Thursday suspected of taking part in a massacre of more than 200 Muslims and Croats early in the 1992-95 Bosnian war.
The mass killing in central Bosnia occurred on Aug. 21, 1992, as part of an early wave of ethnic cleansing as rebel Bosnian Serb forces clashed with Bosnian Croats and Muslims during the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.
"Damir Ivankovic, Zoran Babic, Gordan Djuric, Milorad Radakovic, Milorad Skrbic, Ljubisa Cetic, Dusan Jankovic and Zeljko Stojnic are charged with crimes against humanity in the area of the northwestern town of Prijedor," the prosecutor's office said.
"They are suspected of taking part in the execution on Mount Vlasic of more than 200 Muslim and Croat civilians who had been taken off the buses that transported them from a Prijedor area detention camp to the central town of Travnik."
The victims of the massacre, most of them men, were told they were being released in a prisoner exchange and were driven from the Trnopolje detention camp to some woods.
There, the prisoners were forced to kneel by the edge of a ravine and shot. A dozen survived by tumbling or jumping down the cliff.
Former Bosnian Serb policeman Darko Mrdja, who confessed to taking part in the massacre on Mount Vlasic, was jailed for 17 years in 2004 by the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague.
Reuters Last Mod: 08 Ocak 2009, 17:44