Brazilian court orders boy returned to US father

A Brazilian court rule that a 9-year-old boy at the center of a custody dispute should be returned to his father to the United States.

Brazilian court orders boy returned to US father

A Brazilian court on Wednesday rule that a 9-year-old boy at the center of a custody dispute should be returned to his father to the United States, a lawyer for the father said.

New Jersey resident David Goldman has been fighting for custody of his son, Sean, since his then-wife took the boy on vacation to her native Brazil in 2004, then divorced him and stayed there in what Goldman calls a case of "child abduction."

The mother remarried, but died last year and her family has sought to keep the boy in Brazil.

"The court today decided that the boy must be delivered to the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro in 48 hours," lawyer Ricardo Zamariola told Reuters.

Federal court officials could not immediately be reached for confirmation.

Zamariola said Brazil's Supreme Court could still block the boy's return if it acted this week on a motion for habeas corpus that has already been filed by his Brazilian family. Court cases often drag on for years in Brazil due to multiple appeals.

"We've been surprised in this case in the past. I prefer to wait and see what happens by Friday," he said, adding that David Goldman would fly to Brazil on Thursday.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged Brazil's government to push for the boy's return.

Lawyers for the Brazilian family have said the U.S. ambassador pressured Brazil's government to get involved in the case.

Clinton said in a statement she was pleased by the ruling and appreciated help from the Brazilian government in the case. "And it is my hope that this long legal process is now complete and that the Goldman family will be reunited quickly."

Lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution this year asking Brazil to return Sean.



Reuters

Last Mod: 17 Aralık 2009, 12:51
Add Comment