Brazilian family says to return boy to US father

A Brazilian family said they will return a 9-year-old boy at the center of a cross-border custody battle to his American father by Thursday.

Brazilian family says to return boy to US father

A Brazilian family said they will return a 9-year-old boy at the center of a cross-border custody battle to his American father by Thursday.

Brazil's top judge ruled late on Tuesday that David Goldman should be reunited with his son, backing a decision made last week by a federal court.

Sean's Brazilian family said on Wednesday that it would not appeal the ruling and would hand over Sean to the U.S. consulate in Rio de Janeiro by Thursday morning, which would allow father and son to be reunited for Christmas.

Goldman has been fighting to bring his son home since 2004 when Bruna Bianchi, his then-wife and Sean's mother, brought the boy to her native Brazil and then divorced Goldman. She died last year.

Bianchi's family and her second husband have fought to keep Sean in Brazil, saying he has settled in the country and does not want to go back to the United States.

"Sean is very sad because he doesn't want to go," the boy's maternal grandmother Silvana Bianchi told reporters.

"A child isn't a package that you can send from one hour to the next. He will have big trauma," she added, saying that Brazil's economic interests had won out over Sean's own wishes.

In response to the Supreme Court ruling, the U.S. Senate promptly passed a trade bill late on Tuesday to extend several billion dollars worth of duty-free benefits on some Brazilian exports that New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg had blocked in protest over the Goldman case.

Tuesday night's decision reinstated a federal court order that the boy be returned to his father within 48 hours.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had called on Brazil to allow Sean to return with his father.


Reuters

Last Mod: 24 Aralık 2009, 13:58
Add Comment