Britain pledges 64 million pounds for Congo
Britain said on Wednesday it would donate 64 million pounds this year to help tackle a humanitarian crisis in the conflict-torn Congo.
Britain said on Wednesday it would donate 64 million pounds ($94 million) this year to help tackle a humanitarian crisis in the conflict-torn Democratic Republic of Congo.
Of this, 39 million pounds would be spent on providing food, safe drinking water and medical care and on supplying tools and seeds, a government statement said.
Britain will donate another 25 million pounds through a United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) programme to provide clean water and sanitation for 3.7 million Congolese.
The announcement came during a visit to the country by British International Development Secretary Douglas Alexander.
Tutsi rebels led by Gen. Laurent Nkunda launched an offensive in eastern Congo last August.
More than a quarter of a million civilians have been driven from their homes since then, with widespread reports of murder, rape and looting. More than 5 million people have died since the beginning of a 1998-2003 war in the region.
Reuters Last Mod: 07 Ocak 2009, 12:46