British group cancels march, calls for troops to quit Afghan invasion

A British group on Sunday cancelled march plans to remind Muslim victims of US-West invasion in Afghanistan.

British group cancels march, calls for troops to quit Afghan invasion

A British group on Sunday cancelled march plans to remind Muslim victims of US-West invasion in Afghanistan through a town where processions are held for British soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

In a message posted on its Website, the group, Islam4UK, said it had successfully highlighted "the plight of Muslims in Afghanistan" and a march was no longer needed.

"No more could be achieved even if a procession were to take place," the group's spokesman Anjem Choudary said in a statement.

"This does not mean that we will remain silent on the atrocities being committed in Afghanistan under the guise of fighting for freedom and democracy."

The coffins of troops pass through the streets of Wootton Bassett from a nearby airforce base which receives the bodies of British soldiers from Afghanistan invasion.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown warned that anything that offended the families of dead soldiers would be "unacceptable".

"We once again appeal to the British public and in particular the families and friends of soldiers who have died or are currently involved in Afghanistan to engage with us in an honest dialogue," it said.

"There is common ground between us. Just as you grieve the deaths of your sons and daughters, we too grieve the deaths of thousands of ordinary Muslim men, women and children, just as many of you are aware of the injustice and oppression being carried out by the US led alliance in Afghanistan (of which the UK is a part) and do not agree with your children being in this war, we too demand the immediate withdrawal of all British troops from this Muslim land," it added.

Islam4UK had said it wanted to hold a procession to highlight the deaths of innocent Muslim men, women and children who had been killed in the conflict.

The United Nations released figures this week showing that civilian deaths rose 10.8 percent in the first 10 months of 2009 to 2,038, up from 1,838 for the same period of 2008.

The group head had written an open letter to families of the soldiers killed in Afghan occupation why they plan the march.

246 British soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan since the invasion in 2001.

Obama early this month ordered 30,000 more U.S. troops to Afghan invasion, leading people fearing higher civilian casualties.

There are already around 110,000 foreign troops for Afghanistan occupation.


Agencies



Related news reports:

British group calls for public debate over Afghan victims

British group to march for Muslim victims of Afghan invasion

Afghans protest Obama over student killings / PHOTO

Last Mod: 11 Ocak 2010, 17:37
Add Comment