A primary school principal in China has gone on trial for sexually assaulting 35 girls over the past two decades, although the actual number of victims is likely far higher, state press said Wednesday.
More than 70 girls are believed to have been assaulted but many were unwilling to give evidence due to the trauma and the stigma attached to being a victim of such a crime, the Beijing News reported, citing local authorities.
The man, identified only by his surname of Luo, had taught at various primary schools in northwest China's Gansu province over the past two decades, according to the report.
Police arrested Luo in 2006 while he was a principal at a village primary school after they received reports from several victims who were now college students, the report said.
Investigations led to confirmation that 26 girls had been raped and nine indecently assaulted between 1988 and 2006.
Most of the victims were students at primary schools where Luo worked, while some were relatives of the assaulted girls. In China, children generally attend primary school until they are 12 years old.
Luo went on trial at a court in Gansu's Pingliang city on July 9 after confessing to all the charges, the newspaper said.
The court said Luo should be harshly punished as the "circumstances surrounding him are extraordinarily severe."
No information was given on when he would be sentenced, but he is likely to get the death sentence.
In June, a schoolteacher in northern China was sentenced to death for raping 18 female students between late 2001 and early 2005.
Last Mod: 01 Ağustos 2007, 15:21