Democratic Republic of Congo's army and a renegade general have agreed to a U.N.-brokered ceasefire to halt more than a week of clashes in the east, the U.N. mission in Congo (MONUC) said on Thursday.
"A ceasefire has been facilitated by MONUC between (General Laurent) Nkunda and the government troops. It's been in progress since around 1 p.m. this afternoon," said Sylvie Van Den Wildenberg, U.N. spokeswoman in volatile North Kivu province.
The deal came as thousands of Tutsi fighters loyal to Nkunda appeared to have turned the tide on government forces, and were pressing ahead towards the regional capital Goma, sending thousands of civilians fleeing.
Nkunda's forces had neared Sake, just 20 km (12 miles) from Goma, earlier on Thursday but Van Den Wildenberg said they had not entered the town.
"Nkunda tried to take Sake but U.N. peacekeepers were able to convince his troops to withdraw," she said. "They also made it very clear that another advance on Sake would not be tolerated."
Last Mod: 07 Eylül 2007, 10:38