Congo hailes UN mandate of its peacekeepers
Congo hailed the U.N. decision to extend the mandate of its peacekeeping forces in the country by five months instead of a year.
Congo hailed on Tuesday the U.N. decision to extend the mandate of its peacekeeping forces in the country by five months instead of a year as a step towards a full withdrawal.
The shortened extension will allow the United Nations to work with Kinshasa on a revised mandate for the forces, known as MONUC, that will focus on training the Congolese army to replace them ahead of withdrawal, a spokesman said.
"It conforms with the wishes clearly expressed by President Joseph Kabila to see the United Nations submit to our country a progressive schedule for withdrawing MONUC forces by June 30, 2010, at the latest," Information Minister Lambert Mende said.
MONUC, which has grown into the biggest U.N. force in the world with approximately 20,000 uniformed personnel, has been in the mineral-rich central African nation since a 1998-2003 civil war in which millions of people are believed to have died.
Despite continued reports of murders and rapes by armed groups funded by illegal mineral exports in the country's remote eastern provinces, Congo's government wants an exit strategy for MONUC forces ahead of the 50th anniversary of its independence from former colonial master Belgium at the end of June.
The U.N. resolution, approved unanimously by the 15-member Security Council Dec. 23, asked U.N Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to submit a "strategic review of the situation" by April 1 to enable the body to decide the future of the force.
Human rights groups have accused MONUC of lending too much support to units of the Congolese army known to have committed abuses, and the United Nations last month suspended support for a brigade accused of killing more the 60 civilians.
U.N. Security Council diplomats have said that while Congo has made progress, MONUC is necessary to maintain peace and build up the army.
While Congo's perennial violence in the rebel-infused eastern Kivu provinces remains the biggest concern, the country is also struggling to put down a flare-up in violence in the northern Equateur province.
That conflict, which erupted in October reportedly over tribal fishing access, has killed more than 187 civilians along with at least 28 anti-riot police and 10 Congolese soldiers, Mende said.
The army is receiving logistical support from MONUC to put down the insurrection, he said.
Reuters Last Mod: 29 Aralık 2009, 19:29