The death toll in Congo's worst rail disaster Wednesday has so far reached 160, Congo's Transportation Minister Kuseyo Gatanga said.
The minister said the figure could continue to rise, as there could be more people under the cars.
He said overloading, speeding and the poor condition of the railway were the main causes of the accident. Gatanga also blamed the mismanagement of the state-run railway company for allowing "clandestine passengers" aboard the freight train.
He said the government will further investigate the accident and identify those to be blamed.
The freight train derailed as it rounded a bend in West Kasai province Wednesday night.
Interior Minister General Denis Kalume Numbi led the government delegation, including ministers for health, transport and humanitarian affairs, to the scene to coordinate efforts to deal with the aftermath of the disaster.
Railway officials said earlier that illegal passengers bribe the drivers in order to get on to a freight carriage while other fare dodgers travel on the roofs of the carriages.
Last Mod: 06 Ağustos 2007, 14:36