A suicide car bomber detonated his explosives outside a NATO military base at the international airport in the Afghan capital on Tuesday, a police source told Reuters.
Interior Ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary was quoted as saying that "Two civilians have been martyred, and six civilians have been wounded."
Three American soldiers and a Belgian soldier were also wounded in attack, which happened at the main gate of the international military airport just east of Kabul at 8:30 am (0400 GMT), a military spokesman said.
A shopkeeper who witnessed the blast told Reuters the suicide bomber had detonated his explosives close to one of the entrances of the military side of the airport.
"A suicide bomber in a 'Surf' car (off-road vehicle) exploded himself near the main gate (guarded) by Nepali guards," said the shopkeeper, Izmarai, who uses only one name.
Huge flames could be seen rising from the site of the blast, the source said. The wail of sirens could be heard several kilometres from the military airport.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, said by telephone from an undisclosed location that the fighters were responsible for the blast, targeting Western forces.
Last Mod: 08 Eylül 2009, 11:55
An Afghan soldier, Mohibullah, who said he had witnessed the blast, said two foreign soldiers had been killed, however this could not immediately be confirmed by the NATO-led force.
The incident came after last week's NATO air strike killed scores of civilians in populated area in northern Afghanistan, a prominent domestic rights group said on Monday in a first independent estimate of the death toll.
"Preliminary reports received by ... ARM indicated 60-70 non-combatants died," said the Kabul-based group.
"Even if all the victims were supporters of the Taliban the fact that most of them were unarmed and were not engaged in any combat activity does not warrant their mass killing."