The death toll following an explosion at a coal mine in central China at the weekend has risen to 28, state media has reported.
Two other miners remain missing with thick smoke in the mine shaft hampering rescue efforts, officials said.
The blast occurred on Saturday afternoon at the Pudeng mine in Shanxi province, trapping 30 workers, 20 of whose bodies were recovered immediately.
Local police are investigating two managers for illegally operating the mine, the Xinhua news agency said.
Provincial officials were quoted as saying the mine had continued operations despite being issued a suspension order.
The report did not say on what grounds the order had been issued
China's mines are the deadliest in the world, with an average of 13 miners dying every day in accidents.
Shanxi is China's biggest coal producing province and its mines are regularly hit by fatal accidents.
Chinese coal miners typically labour under appalling conditions as many mine owners cut corners on safety to maximise production of the country's most important energy source.
More than 4,700 workers were killed last year, according to official figures, but independent labour groups put the death toll at up to 20,000 annually.
With coal prices driven to record highs by China's soaring demand for energy, mine operators often ignore safety regulations to boost production.
Last Mod: 07 Mayıs 2007, 10:07